How to Apply
- Review our deadlines – The application will be available in August and we have two deadlines you may choose to apply by. Your admission decision notification date is based on the deadline you choose to apply by and when your application is completed. Make sure you pay attention to the additional requirements and timelines for Studio-Based and Agricultural Institute applicants.
- Complete the application – Submit the application through the Common App or the Coalition App – we do not have a preference. For Studio-Based Majors, you will need to submit a portfolio with your application.
- Pay the application fee – There is an $85 non-refundable application fee ($100 for international applicants). You can either pay it online or provide an official fee waiver.
- Self-report your test scores (optional for 2022) – For 2022 spring and fall applicants, submitting the SAT or ACT will be optional for first-year applicants due to the limited testing opportunities caused by COVID-19. In the application process, if you feel your test scores are reflective of your academic ability, you can choose to submit them. If you do not have scores available or choose not to submit them, your application will not be negatively affected. Learn more about how test scores are considered in admission decisions here.
- If you choose to submit your test scores, you should self-report them on your application. SAT Essay or ACT Writing scores are not required. We encourage you to submit all your scores and we will consider your highest sub-score from each section across your test dates to create a super-score. We can not guarantee scores received after the application materials deadline will be used in your admission decision.
- After you have applied, any additional test scores can be added on your wolfPAW account. We will not accept standardized test scores on your high school transcript. If you indicate you plan to submit test scores on your application and self-report them, official SAT (Code # 5496) or ACT (Code # 3164) test scores will be required and should be sent directly from the testing agency if you ultimately choose to enroll at NC State.
- Submit your transcript – Official academic transcripts should be submitted by your high school counselor.
- Check your status – We encourage you to check your wolfPAW account frequently throughout the application process. You can see which documents and test scores we have received or what may still be missing. Your wolfPAW account is also where we will notify you of your final admission decision.
If you are applying for one of the following programs make sure to submit your application by our early action deadline. In addition to completing the steps above, you should also submit an art portfolio by November 1.
- Art & Design
- Fashion & Textile Design
- Graphic Design
- Industrial Design
Your wolfPAW account will be your one stop for all information regarding your application.Sign in
After You Apply
Once you’ve submitted the application we will be in touch. You’re not done quite yet – there are just a few more steps.
- Log in to your wolfPAW account – You will receive an email confirmation that your application has been submitted. You will then receive log in credentials for your wolfPAW account, your applicant portal, within 14 days. Follow the link in the email to log in to your account to access your application information and view the materials we have on file for you.
- Check your email for updates to your application – Your email address on your application is how we will contact you. Make sure to check it at least once a week to stay up to date with your application status.
- Submit any missing items – After your application is submitted and processed, we will let you know if we are missing any required materials on your wolfPAW account under your To Do List. When materials are received, they will have a green check beside them. Your patience is appreciated as we work as quickly as possible to add your documents to your file once received. It typically takes 2-3 weeks once received for materials to be processed and reflected on your wolfPAW account.
- Complete the FAFSA – The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available each October 1. To be considered for federal aid and state and institutional need-based financial aid you must submit a FAFSA. We encourage you to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1 – you do not need to wait for a final admission decision. You are given first consideration for all need-based scholarship and grant assistance awarded by the university if you apply by the March 1 priority deadline.
- Available – October 1
- Priority Deadline – March 1
- School code 002972
- View your decision – You will be notified of your admission decision on your wolfPAW account. We release all decisions on the notification date corresponding to the application deadline for the semester you apply for. We will make one of three decisions after reviewing your application. Some students we are able to admit right away, others we may ask that you submit your fall grades before we make a final decision, and unfortunately some will not be considered competitive. If you are denied, we encourage you to consider applying in the future as a transfer student. During final review, if we believe you are competitive to be admitted to NC State but have limited space availability, you may be placed on our wait list. We release final decisions for students on the wait list by June 15.