How to Apply
- Review our deadlines – Submit your application for fall entry or spring entry by the appropriate deadline. The application will be available in August. Make sure you pay attention to the additional requirements and timeline for Studio-Based Majors.
- Complete the application – Submit the application through the Common App or the Coalition App – we do not have a preference. For Studio-Based Majors, you will need to submit a portfolio with your application.
- Pay the application fee – Once you submit your application, pay the $100 application fee online through the Common App or the Coalition App. Fee waivers will not be accepted.
- Submit your academic credentials – Freshman applicants should submit an official copy of your high school transcript. To be considered official, documents must be sent directly to NC State from the issuing institution. Documents that were not issued in English must be accompanied by the English translation. Translation must be done by the issuing institution, Ministry of Education or a certified translator.
Transfer applicants who have completed any university coursework outside of the U.S. will need to submit a course-by-course evaluation, along with an official transcript, completed by one of the following NACES-accredited foreign credential evaluation services:
- World Education Services
- Educational Credential Evaluations, Inc.
- Educational Perspectives
- International Education Evaluations, Inc.
Transferring credits from a non-U.S. university? We are unable to determine how many of your credits will transfer to NC State when you apply. If you are admitted and enroll at NC State, your department will determine how many of your non-U.S. university credits will transfer toward your degree.
- Show proof of English proficiency – If you are not from a country where English is the official or commonly spoken language, you need to show proof of English proficiency in one of the following ways. Official TOEFL, IELTS Academic and PTE Academic test scores should be sent directly from the testing agency.
Options for Meeting Requirements Scores Required for Full Undergraduate Admission Scores Required for Conditional Admission TOEFL IBT (code: 5496)
*electronic submission only
85 or higher (minimum of 18 in each sub score) 50 or higher TOEFL Paper Based (code: 5496)
*electronic submission only
563 or higher 500 or higher IELTS Academic
*electronic submission only
6.5 or higher (minimum of 6.5 in each sub score) 5.5 or higher PTE Academic 62 or higher (minimum of 53 in each sub score) 45 or higher Intensive English Program Completion of Level 6 with a grade of B or higher and meet all other exit criteria English Composition I and II from an accredited U.S. College or University Grade of C or higher
Not required if you are a national of one of these countries
Australia, Bahamas, Belize, Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, Grenada, Cayman Islands, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, New Zealand, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United Kingdom
- Complete the Certificate of Financial Responsibility – If you require an F-1 or J-1 student visa to study in the U.S. you must prove your ability to cover the estimated school expenses by completing the Certificate of Financial Responsibility.
- Schedule an interactive interview (Chinese applicants only) – We strongly encourage Chinese citizens to submit a third-party unscripted interview. It gives you an opportunity to provide more information about your academic and personal background, your capabilities and potential, and your overall achievements. Contact InitialView or Vericant to set up an interview and submit it with your other materials by the application deadline.
- Request your test scores (Freshman applicants only) OPTIONAL – Official SAT (Code # 5496) or ACT (Code # 3164) test scores should be sent directly from the testing agency. SAT Essay or ACT Writing scores are not required. Scores received from test dates prior to the application deadline will be considered. We can not guarantee scores received after the application deadline will be used in your admission decision.
- Check your wolfPAW account – We encourage you to check your wolfPAW account frequently throughout the application process. You can see which documents and test scores we have received, what may still be missing, and upload some documents such as your passport and certificate of financial responsibility to your account. Your wolfPAW account is also where we will notify you of your final admission decision.
If you are applying for one of the following programs make sure to submit your application by our early action deadline. In addition to completing the steps above, you should also submit an art portfolio by November 1.
- Art & Design
- Fashion & Textile Design
- Graphic Design
- Industrial Design
Use of Agents or Educational Agencies
NC State does not partner with incentive-based agents or educational agencies to represent the University or to administer any part of the application process.
We recognize that in many countries agents or consultants are retained by students and their families to assist in applying to universities in the United States. It is not necessary to engage an agent in order to have a strong chance of admission to NC State. Admission decisions are not based on the recommendations of agents.
NC State expects an application to be the work of the applicant and that all information on the application is complete, accurate and truthful. We may reject application materials, cancel an admissions offer or dismiss a student from attendance, if it is determined that application materials have been falsified.
It is critical that applicants use their own email address, phone number, and mailing address on their application to ensure that all communication from NC State is delivered in an accurate and timely manner. Missing any important communication from NC State may delay applicants’ application process and admission decisions.
Your wolfPAW account will be your one stop for all information regarding your application.Sign In
After You Apply
Once you’ve submitted the application we will be in touch. You’re not done quite yet – there are just a few more steps.
- Confirm your wolfPAW account – Once your application is submitted, within a couple of days, you will receive an email asking you to confirm your wolfPAW account. Your wolfPAW account will be your one stop for all information regarding your application. Follow the link in the email to create your wolfPAW account to access your application information and view the materials we have on file for you. If you don’t receive the email, take a look in your spam folder.
- Check your email for updates to your application – Your email address on your application is how we will contact you. Make sure to check it at least once a week to stay up to date with your application status.
- Submit any missing items – After your application is submitted and processed, we will let you know if we are missing any required materials on your wolfPAW account under your To Do List. When materials are received, they will have a green check beside them. Your patience is appreciated as we work as quickly as possible to add your documents to your file once received. It typically takes 2-3 weeks once received for materials to be processed and reflected on your wolfPAW account.
- View your decision – You will be notified of your admission decision on your wolfPAW account. We will release your decision on a rolling basis, once your application is completed and reviewed.